Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Theodore Baker, in 1894, took a Dutch hymn and gave it English words. 

"We Gather Together"

We gather together to ask the Lord's blessing;
he chastens and hastens his will to make known.
The wicked oppressing now cease from distressing.
Sing praises to his name, he forgets not his own.

Beside us to guide us, our God with us joining,
ordaining, maintaining his kingdom divine;
so from the beginning the fight we were winning;
thou, Lord, wast at our side, all glory be thine!

We all do extol thee, thou leader triumphant,
and pray that thou still our defender wilt be.
Let thy congregation escape tribulation;
thy name be ever praised! O Lord, make us free!


All of my life (so far) when I have heard this song I have thought of Thanksgiving Day.  This day for my family is a break from the every day routine - we gather together with family and friends, we enjoy special foods, lots of talk, silliness, prayers of thanksgiving, stories of the past year and of long ago - and a little football.  You can have turkey any day of the year - it's always best on Thanksgiving.  Whatever you are doing this Thursday I hope and pray you are given a clear and beautiful vision of how wonderful our world is. 

God bless us all.

One more thing I'm thankful for -  We've had no killing frost, so I still have a few
blooms in my garden, Pink Salvia Greggii and White Lantana.
I transplanted them a couple of years ago and didn't realize I was moving two plants in
the same ball of dirt, they have grown together into a beautiful arrangement.











No comments: