Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Old Fashioned - Words, Regrets, and Oatmeal Cookies

Here's an old fashioned word for you. 

Pining. 

Webster tells me it means "To miss and long for the return of."

What are you pining for at this moment?

I didn't plant geraniums this past spring.  I can't remember a year when I did not plant at least one geranium.  In so many ways, big and small, this was not the summer I had planned.  I love to plan.  I always carry a notebook and calendar.  How could I have missed the geraniums?

I suppose I could buy one ragged geranium now and try to keep it going through the winter, but that would be like trying to put up a Christmas tree in April or expecting to see tulips in September.  Some things in life are more wonderful because they only happen at an appointed time - you enjoy them in season or you wait until next year.

I will just have to accept that Autumn is coming and go with that.  I'll make cookies and stock up on tea and bring out a few pillows and throws to make the rooms feel cozier.  I should probably clean up the fireplace and get ready for the first cold night when I realize Summer 2011 is just a memory.

Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies

Recipe - Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup of butter (2 sticks, softened)
1 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla
2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups of old fashioned Oats, uncooked
1/2 c. chocolate chips, 1/2 cup nuts (I used pecan), 1/2 cup raisins

Heat oven to 350F
Beat together butter and sugars until creamy.
Add eggs and vanilla, beat well.
Sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt - add and mix well.
Stir in Oats, chocolate, nuts and raisins - mix well.
Scoop out a tablespoon of the dough and drop onto ungreased cookie sheet (I use parchment paper to line my cookie sheets -  easiest clean up possible). I get 12 cookies per cookie sheet, don't crowd them.
Bake 11 minutes (maybe 12).

Cool for 2 minutes on cookie sheet then put them on a cake rack to cool completely.

For Oatmeal Bars - line cookie/baking sheet (13 x 9) with parchment paper, spread out mixture - don't worry if it doesn't cover the entire pan, just spread it evenly and cook 33 minutes (no more than 35 minutes).  Cool for 5 to 10 minutes, then lift out onto rack.  (The parchment paper will make it easy to lift out.)  Cool on rack, slice after they have cooled.

I was busy this weekend, so I made the bars.  I like to freeze them in small batches then I'm ready with a quick treat. 

Have a cookie, it will not replace what you missed out on or lost this summer.  Some things we're not supposed to replace, some things we are supposed to accept and to live with a hole in our heart and every time we think about it, we love what we lost and they, or it, live on in our memories.

Did you skip a summertime tradition this year?  Any regrets?  With a bit of planning maybe you can make next summer a little better.  Just pull out your calendar and write down what you want to do differently next year.  For me, I've made a note on April 11th which reads "2012 - Buy Geraniums."  The last week of December, when I'm transferring calendars, I'll see that reminder and for a moment or two I'll think back on this past summer's victories and losses, I may even do a bit of serious pining, but that's o.k.  It will also be a reminder to give thanks for all I have.

3 comments:

Mary said...

I did do geraniums - always buy a few pots at the Spring sale to support brain injured people in the community, and thankfully they always send a reminder in the mail! They did OK in spite of the heat, thanks to my neighbor watering now and then - but of course with my being away so much they probably missed the usual deadheading and extra TLC!

Pining mainly for the lack of home grown veggies this Summer - just couldn't get them in the ground as we were in the UK at planting time, then it was far too hot and dry to do it later. Oh my, how I missed a just picked, warm from the sun, tomato!

The cookies sound great - love anything with oats!

Hugs - Mary

Barbara said...

I love oat cookies. I have several different recipes but all good. Your look and sound good too.
Cooling down to 86!! Wish ours would warm up to 70!!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I've had a good summer and lots of fun! I guess if I'm pining for anything it's a good oatmeal cookie! heehee! I can't eat sugar so I never get to eat cookies...but I can enjoy seeing yours! ♥