Thursday, May 24, 2012

Me of Little Faith

Happy to report the swelling in my knee has gone down a little, and there's not as much pain. (Maybe my doctor knew what he was talking about?)  I'm still taking it easy - goofing off - watching TV, reading, and knitting.



I have almost finished with the first skein of yarn.  The scarf is over five feet long.  I could stop now, but all those years of watching "Dr. Who" (the Tom Baker version) have me wanting to make this a very, very, long scarf.  Or maybe I just want to see what colors will pop up next.

Do you receive lots of junk email?  Here's the best WORST one from this week, for some reason I just don't trust he, she or it.

From: BMW LOTTERY DEPARTMENT
Sent: Sun, May 20, 2012 2:34:54 PM
Subject: BMW LOTTERY DEPARTMENT
BMW LOTTERY DEPARTMENT
ROCKVIEW, ARKANSAS. 49812
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

Dear Winner,

This is to inform you that you have been selected for a prize of a brand new 2011 Mobel BMW 7 Series Car and a Check of $500,000.00usd from international programs held on the 1st section 2012 in the UNITED STATE OF AMERICA.

The selection process was carried out through random selection in our computerized email selection system (ESS) from a database of over 250,000 email addresses drawn from all the continents of the world which you were selected.

The BMW Lottery is approved by the British Gaming Board and also Licensed by the International Association of Gaming Regulators (IAGR). To begin the processing of your prize you are to contact our fiduciary claims department for more information as regards procedures to claim your prize.

Name:Mrs. Amaka Eunice
Email:
 
(Sorry I'm leaving this off)

Contact him by providing him with your secret pin code Number BMW:2551256003/23. You are also advised to provide him with the under listed information as soon as possible:

1. Name in full. 2. Address.
3. Nationality. 4. Age.
5. Occupation. 6. Phone/Fax.
7. Present Country. 8. Email address.
9. pin code Number BMW:2551256003/23

Mrs. Rachael Adams.
THE DIRECTOR PROMOTIONS
BMW LOTTERY DEPARTMENT
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.


For starters, BMW stands for Bavarian Motor Works - why is it important that the British approve this?  I see things like this and start picking out the little (and big) mistakes.  Then I start to wonder if I'm more worried about the facts than the truth.   Another thing that my little prize email brings to mind is the old expression 'If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.'  (I Won!  Really?  Out of all the people in the world, I just won a contest I didn't even enter... How lucky is that?!!!)  Then there's the word "fiduciary" - for some reason I giggle when I hear that word, I have since the first time I heard it - hey! we've all got our quirks.

Here in the good ol' US of A it is a presidential election year, our Texas primary is next Tuesday. I am thankful I have always been able to vote (a right granted to women in this country by the 19th Amendment in 1920). I don't have faith in politicians (I really don't think we are supposed to have faith in them), after a couple of weeks of TV, reading, and just plain thinking I'm not sure what I have faith in. Between the crazy emails and all the politicians telling me how good they are and how bad every one else is, it's almost impossible to tell the good guys & gals from the bad.   I now watch TV - from decorating shows to 'the news' and find myself suspiciously saying "Follow the money" every time someone says use this or don't use that.  It is enough to make me have doubts about religions, coffee, and The Weather Channel.

Who to vote for - another tough decision.  Come Tuesday, I'll make that decision.  If you have the opportunity to vote, please do.



*

5 comments:

Privet and Holly said...

I was under the
weather myself
for a few days
this week, but,
despite that, it
was kind of nice
to rest and watch
tv and let the rest
of the world carry
on w/o me for a
little bit! Glad you
are on the mend
AND that you are
going to vote; so
important!

Happy Weekend,
xo Suzanne

Crack You Whip said...

I've gotten a few of those lottery letters, though none lately. I know someone who fell for it and spent thousands trying to get it...wow!

Mary said...

So glad you are doing better dear..........a couple more yards of that pretty scarf and you should be perfect again!!!

I became a citizen after many years here on my green card....because I really wanted to vote. Since then though it seems there are no good people running for office! I do vote though because it's so important, especially now when this wonderful country is on the skids, just like so many others!

Can you imagine anyone in their right mind actually falling for those crazy offers?????

Be well, be happy.
Mary X

Sue Catmint said...

so pleased to hear you're getting better, Joy. What would they do with your details if you did send them in? (Just wondering, not suggesting you do this of course). the thing about democracy, it's probably better than other systems because usually politicians and their followers fight each other with words and don't kill each other. cheers, catmint

Anonymous said...

Love your long scarf.. and the Janis Joplin tune, Mercedes Benz is not running through my mind! lol...