Thursday, June 28, 2012

Iced Tea

Another 100 degree day. Ugh. I used to drink iced tea instead of water. The caffeine buzz kept me going and going. These days I have to limit myself to just a glass or two every now and then.
 
Growing up in north Georgia, Coke was the soft drink of choice and iced tea was always sweet. When I was 19 (I know, I know - I should have titled this post "Long Ago and Far Away") I was on a date and ordered an iced tea that I had never heard of before "Long Island Iced Tea." I was curious about how they did tea 'up north.' Of course, I didn't want my date to know this was all new to me so I acted like I had these all the time (right, like none of you ever fake it).
 
Needless to say it was not like my Mom's iced tea. Also, this tea's ability to relax me was (and still is) dangerous - I don't have it on days when I've got lots of work to do or if I plan to drive anywhere or if I need to think.

Here's my recipe (for two):
Mix 1 oz. of lemon juice and 1 tsp of sugar until sugar is dissolved.
Add 1 oz. each - gin, rum, tequila, vodka
Mix well (if you do this poorly I will know).
Divide the mixture in 2 pretty glasses.
Add approximately 1/2 cup of Coke and ice.



Enjoy.

*

3 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

OY!!! not your mama's iced tea, for sure! :)

Robin Larkspur said...

I certainly do not envy that 100 degree weather of yours. It's nice here with low humidity, but tomorrow back up to the nineties. I enjoy a nice iced tea, but I stay far away from those L.I. iced teas, dangerous.

Denise :) said...

I do believe that concoction is referred to as a "Long Island Iced Tea"! LOL! We're supposed to hit 107 on Saturday or Sunday. Whew! Stay cool! :)