Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Back to the Garden - Weeding

Weeding is the worst of all chores in the garden. It's also one of the most important. I put this off for so long (I live in hope that my gardens will become self-cleaning). When I got busy doing it instead of just wishing it was done, clean up was much faster than I thought it would be. 

I took this picture a few days before I started work and put it on my computer as my background so I would remember I had a bit of weeding to do. 

Thursday morning I spent less than 90 minutes weeding, putting in soil amendments / plant food, putting down newspaper to hold in the water and keep out the weeds, and scattering wood mulch across the top of everything to make it beautiful (this also helps keep out the weeds and keep in the water).   I started at 7:00, I was trying to work while the temps were only in the 80's (around here that's just a few precious minutes in the morning). Also, I was trying to avoid a sunburn - that takes a bit of work - it seems like the sun is always out.




I told you about the book LASAGNA GARDENING by Patricia Lanza.  This is one of the benefits of putting down newspaper in your garden, it keeps the weeds from really taking hold. 



I started pulling the weeds with my hands (wear gloves!) and they came out very easily.  I grabbed my old fork hoe and it made the job go even faster. 



After a bit of weeding I was ready to add the good stuff (soil amendments).   It was going so fast I almost forgot to take pictures. 


As I put down the sections of newspaper I spray them with water, this keeps them from flying away. 



When I was done I was careful not to take any photos of me. I was dirty, sweaty, hot and tired. And proud. I have just started a garden revival.   




Yes, the stone and the fossil were there all the time - just hidden by all the weeds.  I am so amazed at how quickly I cleaned up this area of my garden.  Sure, I've got lots more to do, but that's one of the things about a garden  - it needs you as much as you need it.

1 comment:

savvycityfarmer said...

I've got weeding on the list for this week ... blech