Thursday, January 19, 2012

Time to Quilt

I'm quilting again. 

I've put it on my calendar - a day here and there, sometimes two or three hours blocked off, just to be creative.  I plan to make all of this year's Christmas gifts.  Plus, I've got a few friends having babies or grand babies, I want to give them something special, and baby quilts are my favorite thing to make.  I'm also trying to use fabric I have on hand mixed in with some new designs and colors.

One of this month's projects is an easy baby quilt.  I'm looking for ways to make them quick and easy, to make them ahead of time so I'm ready with a gift.  Yes, I'm trying to get away from taking forever to make a baby quilt. 


To speed up my quilt making I'm using bigger blocks.

I'm making this one with six inch blocks.  Last summer I found some fabric I liked and bought fat quarters for the entire collection.  Then bought a couple of yards of the fabric I wanted to use as the backing and binding.  Sketched out a plan.  Washed and ironed all the fabric.  Cut out my six inch blocks.


First look at my project...

I noticed that one fabric was just not right for this quilt.  No matter how much planning I do there always seems to be a change or two needed when I see everything together for the first time.


This is for a baby - I want it to be bright and cheerful.

I checked through my stash of goldy yellows and found one that would work (o.k., there was more than one, but this is what I chose).


All better.

I think this is a much happier piece of fabric.



One more thing - if you want this striped fabric let me know I'll be glad to send it to you.  One of my resolutions is to not hold on to stuff "just in case."

Anyone out there need a bumblebee yellow and black?

Now I've got to dash - I'm quilting today.




*

4 comments:

Bev said...

It looks very colourful! Don't you just love days when you can be creative?!

Have you ever made a serger quilt?

TexWisGirl said...

i do like the yellow added. such a great gift!!!

Denise :) said...

What a sweet gift!! I'm sure the new mama will greatly appreciate your thoughtfulness, Joy!! :)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love those pretty bright colors! ♥