Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Still learning...

I'm listening - I listen to books when I walk - to Peace and Plenty by Sarah Ban Breathnach.   She did Simple Abundance in the 90's and I enjoyed that book so I just assumed this would be more of the same and I would feel more feminine and just fine after each chapter. 
Whoa!  This is a cautionary tale.  She tells a story of losing all her fortune with the help of her 'Englishman' husband. It's almost like she was afraid to know how much she had (she had a bunch) or to plan for the future. As a woman who went through a divorce (decades ago) and lived to tell the tale, I can relate to some of her 'let the husband handle everything' attitude, but I was in my early 20's at the time. It makes me sad that at 60 something she's had to start all over again.  At the same time it's wonderful that she's learned and become stronger and smarter having survived this mess.  I figure I can be a better person by avoiding some of her mistakes and following some of her advice.  Like knowing how much money I have right now.  Had to think about that for a minute or two. 
I enjoy her writing style - so peaceful - yet bitter - but peaceful.   I'm just about finished with it - I do hope she lives happily ever after.  Knowing that her Englishman only stole the eggs and didn't kill the goose - I figure she will survive and thrive.
I leave you now to go balance my checkbook.  It's the 7th day of the month, have you balanced yours?
Enjoy this day!



No comments: